1881 Hati Gourde






Year: 1881

Country: Hati

Denomination: Gourde

Weight: 25 g

Silver Composition: .900

Mintage: 200,000

Certification: NGC AU55

Km # 46

Comments: Obverse features head facing right.  Reverse features national coat of arms.  Nice original look to this one
   I have been wanting to pick up a Haitian Gourde for years now but they tend to be pretty pricey, especially certified.  I got this example for around $150.  I am getting to the point on my collecting journey where I already have most of the sub $100 coins that I want.  Unless I purchase a modern or a commemorative, which I do from time to time if the subject of the coin has some interest to me.  I would much rather pic up a coin from the 1600s - 1800s though.  
   For me there is a psychological barrier for paying more than $150 for a coin.  It is kind of silly though as I have had years where I have purchased over a dozen coins at $50 or more each.  But it is just tough for me to spend $150 or more on one coin.  The last few years I have been buying less coins but spending more on each coin so it kind of balances out. Once I break the barrier it gets easier so maybe in a couple years from now I will be purchasing $250 coins on a regular basis.

No comments: