2021 Christa McAuliffe Commemorative Dollar

 

.


Year: 2021

Country: United States

Denomination:  One Dollar

Mint: Philadelphia

Weight: 26.730 g

Silver Composition: .999

Mintage: 350,000

Finish: Uncirculated

Comments: Obverse features Christa McAuliffe, a teacher and astronaut who was killed on the space shuttle Challenger.  Reverse features three children and the caption "I touch the future, I Teach".  I haven't purchased any US commemorative coins from the US mint in almost 7 year but I picked this one up for a couple reasons.   First, I remember distinctly being in 8th grade and watching the space shuttle launch with the local teacher, Christa McAuliffe, and then my horror and confusion as it exploded.  Second, now 35 years later, I am a teacher myself, so it is nice to see my profession featured on a coin.  

No comments: